Are you tired when you wake up in the mornings for your first class of the day? Throughout the day, add these foods or drinks to your meal and revive your senses.
1. If you haven’t already, grab an orange for breakfast. Citrus is proven to improve alertness and attentiveness. Even the mere scent of it has powerful awakening effects. Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder suggests, “Bright scents like lemon and orange can quickly lift your mood, leaving you feeling better…keep essential oils of citrus in your purse that you can take a whiff of.”
2. Who doesn’t have a craving for chocolate every once in awhile? However, not just any chocolate would snap you awake – it as to be dark chocolate. Dark chocolate contains the highest amount of cocoa, and thus harnesses the ability to enhance your energy levels. As Doctor Oz says, “This miracle food contains hundreds of compounds that boost endorphins and serotonin, two of the best-known chemicals that are responsible for making us happy.”
3. Have a hankering for a snack to munch on? Try walnuts. Containing the highest amount of omega-3 of any nut, walnuts are the most likely to lift your liveliness. “Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, a type of fat that’s needed for brain cells and mood-lifting neurotransmitters to function properly and possibly help some people with depression,” says nutrition specialist Cathy Wong.
4. Eating fish, especially salmon, multiple times per week will not only elevate energy levels, but also boost your mood. Fish contains protein and omega-3 fatty acids as well as Vitamin D. “Fish – coldwater fish especially – is the richest source of omega-3 fats to help improve mood. Think wild salmon, sardines, and tuna,” says Dr. Alicia Stanton, a national expert on women’s health and hormone therapy.
5. Green tea will promote a calming effect, while also maintaining focus and concentration. According to Psychology Today, “Compounds in green tea enhance insulin sensitivity, keeping the brain running smoothly on steady levels of glucose.”
By Kristen Maikoo